The Different Domains
Domain 5: Various Techniques & Interventions
These domains of activity have to be considered within a framework that constitutes the professional work of a European psychotherapist.
These ‘domains’ operate within each of the three main categories of Competencies (Core, Specific & Specialist):
These domains indicate that a European psychotherapist is competent in these areas:
- Working Professionally, Autonomously & Accountably:
- The Psychotherapeutic Relationship:
- Exploration, (Assessment, Diagnosis & Conceptualization):
- ‘Contracting’ (Developing Goals, Plans & Strategies):
- Various Techniques & Interventions: This means that the psychotherapist is able to demonstrate: that they can use effectively a variety of techniques and interventions, some (or most) from their original training in a particular modality, as well as those from any further or additional trainings, perhaps in other modalities, but some also influenced by generic developments, changes in social attitudes, and those suggested by modern research. These various techniques and interventions should cover the usual situations that would normally be met in the course of the professional activities of a psychotherapist. The psychotherapist has the professional responsibility to extend their knowledge, skill and expertise to meet adequately the demands of any new situation or circumstances, and to achieve any agreed goals in their place of work or with the recipient of their work.
- §5.1: Utilise ‘Standard’ Techniques & Interventions
- Establish a functional ‘Working Alliance’
- Identify which techniques and/or interventions are appropriate
- Identify which modes of interaction are appropriate
- Monitor and manage the process of change
- Manage any difficulties
- §5.2: Manage the Emotional Content of the Sessions
- Facilitate the processing of emotions
- Handle extreme emotions
- §5.3: Utilise ‘Other’ Techniques & Interventions 
- Use research-based techniques and interventions
- Ensure proper training & supervision in these
To look at the description of any of the other domains, please click on the domain name.
To see the descriptions of all the domains together, click here.