The Different Domains
Domain 12: ResearchIn each of the three main categories of Competencies (Core, Specific & Specialist), there are several different ‘domains’. These domains of professional activity have to be considered within the general framework of what most people would agree constitutes the profession of psychotherapy, and also within the general framework of views about the basic nature of humankind; interactions between human society and its environment; the nature of that society; and the key concepts of the arts and sciences that are relevant to the development of professional psychotherapeutic practice; and that are relevant to any method of practice.
These domains indicate that a European psychotherapist is competent in these areas:
- Working Professionally, Autonomously & Accountably:
- The Psychotherapeutic Relationship:
- Exploration, (Assessment, Diagnosis & Conceptualization):
- ‘Contracting’ (Developing Goals, Plans & Strategies):
- Various Techniques & Interventions:
- Management of Change, Crisis and Trauma Work:
- Completion & Evaluation:
- Collaboration with Other Professionals:
- Use of Supervision, (Peer) Intervision and Critical Evaluation:
- Ethics, Standards & Sensitivities:
- Management & Administration:
- Research: This means that the psychotherapist is able to demonstrate that: they are aware of the need for ongoing research and development in the field of psychotherapy; that they are prepared to engage in appropriate research; and that they maintain an awareness of, and their practice is informed by, significant developments in the field of professional practice. When research is undertaken, the psychotherapist is able to demonstrate that: they follow professional and ethical guidelines, maintain proper respect for the research subjects, and conduct the research in a professional and sympathetic manner.
- §12.1: Be aware of psychotherapy research
- Awareness of psychotherapy research
- Make use of psychotherapy research
- §12.2: Engage in appropriate research
- Take part in appropriate research
- Plan appropriate research
- Conduct psychotherapy research
To view the detailed Core Competencies within this Domain, please click here.
To look at the description of any of the other domains, please click on the domain name.
To see the descriptions of all the domains together, click here.